Monday, August 25, 2008

Tuna Steaks!


Today was the first day of the fall semester for me so it was a bit depressing, but I cheered up when my mom consented to letting me cook some fresh yellowfin tuna steaks for supper.

The key to good tasting fish is to start with high quality meat. The fillets, steaks, or even whole fish should not smell fishy at all. It should have a firm, springy texture and if possible shouldn't be frozen. If the fish was frozen make sure that it was vacuum packed and frozen as to allow for minimal water content in the fish. Freezing fish with water around it creates mealy, mushy fish which is unappetizing.

These tuna steaks were pretty large at about 2 inches thick and 4-6 inches square. I laid them out in a glass pan to allow them to thaw and then poured the liquid off and patted them dry. I tried mixing a few different things to create my own marinade but couldn't come up with anything that matched what I had in mind. So I settled on using a store-bought teriyaki marinade and adding some honey; about a 2-1 ratio of marinade to honey. I marinated the tuna for about 2 hours before placing on the pre-heated grill. I grilled it for about 10 minutes and it turned out perfectly!

The honey gave the fish a tiny bit of a crust and glazed the steaks beautifully. They were flaky, a tiny bit juicy, and extremely flavorful. Best of all there was only the slightest hint of a fish flavor, it was so minimal that my mom even ate quite a bit and enjoyed it! The tuna steaks, garlic bread, pasta, and broccoli were a great finish to the day. Wish you could have been there to share!

Happy Eating!
"Chef" Slade

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Glad you enjoyed the fish. I think I will just stick with fish sticks. Hope you have a wonderful semester at school, I know you will make good grades. Love Sis

Holly said...

Matt, Tuna? Are you for real? I guess it's hard for me to imagine my little bruver all grown up and cooking, for crying out loud! Keep posting, I'll be curious what's next.
Love ya, Holly